Church History

 

Sellersburg United Methodist Church was organized in 1871 by J. W. Bottorff, a local minister. The congregation met in the old Sellersburg School which was later known as the George Reed property. The first church building was constructed during the ministry of the Reverend John Green. It was dedicated on August 25, 1872. This building was on the Dr. G. R. Hauss property across the street from the current church. During the depression of 1893 a parsonage was constructed on Paradise Avenue in 1884.

 

 

(We are always looking for pictures of our church and family.

If you have any, please let the office know or email them.)


In 1923, approximately $35,000 church and $6,000 parsonage were erected on the present sites. On June 26, 1924 the cornerstone was laid and on May 17,1925 the building was dedicated with Bishop Leete delivering the sermon. Throughout the coming years the following major improvements were made: the renovation of the organ in 1951; the addition of Fellowship Hall annex in 1957; the addition of central air conditioning to the sanctuary and annex in 1966 ; the organizing of the John Norman Beck Library in 1972; the renovation of the vestibule was renovated in 1976; the refurbishing of the old parsonage and the repairing of the church roof in 1979.

 

The United Methodist Women organization dates back to September 1940 (under the name Women’s Society of Christian Service) with 74 charter members. As of 1983 there were four United Methodist Women circles and currently there are three women circles: The New Adventure's Circle, Lydia-Hazel Hanger Circle, and The Well.  The Methodist men were organized in January of 1949 with 22 members. The group was reinstituted in 1987. Currently there is no formal men’s group meeting.


At the 1989 annual church conference on November 5, 1989 a decision was made to construct a new parsonage on property that the church already owned. The old parsonage is being used as the church's administrative office. After an extensive study of major maintenance and repairs to both the church and parsonage in 2003, a decision was made to proceed with a capital funds campaign and complete repairs such as an electrical upgrade, handicap ramp, repair exterior brick, paint sanctuary, remodel basement, and miscellaneous other items. In 2003 the administrative board decided to incorporate the church to protect the church and members from as much legal liability as possible...completed in February of 2004.  On February 23, 2011, the church purchased 3/4 acre of land behind the church parsonage from West Clark Community Schools. This land will be available to expand parking facilities or other future church vision.


Ministries that have been at the heart of Sellersburg UMC include music, and a church orchestra soon to follow. Music and liturgical arts has remained consistent with the formation of the dance group Hearts in Motion 2000 and the addition of the praise team in 2008. 

© 2017 Sellersburg United Methodist Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community